Waitrose nutritionist Nicola Selwood shares her favorite recipe for energy-packed post-run snacking. Loaded with natural ingredients these bars are chocolatey, gluten-free and great on the go.
“If you’re looking to replace your energy after a run but don’t want a full meal, then these energy dense choc-nut bars are just the ticket,” says Nicola. “With over 12g carbohydrate and nearly 200kcals per bar, they are perfect to take with you and enjoy post run. The nuts, peanut butter and seeds provide a useful amount of protein – so, as well as replenishing your glycogen stores with carbohydrate, your muscles will thank you for the protein. These bars taste so good it might be hard to have just one, but don’t forget they are energy dense, so stick to the portion size suggested and enjoy!”
Total time: 25 minutes, plus setting
Recipe makes: 24 bars
- 200g cashew nuts
- 150g pecan nut halves
- 75g gluten-free porridge oats
100g seed & berry mix
9 pitted medjool dates (about 180g), chopped
- 100g peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp fine salt
For the topping
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the nuts, oats and seed and berry mix in a food processor and whizz to a chunky mixture. Add the remaining bar ingredients; whizz again until just combined. Transfer to a deep 20cm x 30cm tray lined with baking parchment and press into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Chill while you make the topping.
- For the topping, break the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the coconut oil in a heatproof bowl, either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, beat in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the nut mixture and spread with the back of a spoon until you have an even coating. Return to the fridge to set for about 1 hour, then cut into 24 squares. The bars can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Nutritional value per serving – Energy: 804kJ, 193cals. Fat: 14.1g. Saturated Fat: 4g. Carbohydrate: 12.6. Sugars: 8.8g. Protein: 4g. Salt: 0.2g. Fibre: 1.5g
Find more healthy recipes like this at Waitrose online