For the broth
Stalks from mushrooms
1.5 litre vegetable stock (made from concentrate)
1 lemon grass stalk, crushed
10g basil stalks
1 star anise
½ cinnamon stick
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
40g closed-cup mushrooms, stalk removed
3 shallots, finely sliced
1tbsp sunflower oil
20g green beans, cut in half
1 bok choy, cut in half
50g noodles, cooked
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
10g basil leaves
- Firstly, make the broth. In a large saucepan add the vegetable stock, mushroom stalks, lemon grass, ginger, basil stalks, star anise and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook the shallots and garlic in a dry pan until nicely charred, add to the stock. Leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain to leave just the liquid, season with soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and leave to one side.
- Whilst the stock is simmering. Cook the finely sliced shallots in the sunflower oil until crispy, drain onto kitchen roll.
- Place a pan of water onto boil. Cook the green beans for 5 minutes, add the mushrooms and bok choy, cook for 1 minute and drain.
- Divide the mushrooms, green beans, bok choy and noodles between bowls. Pour in the broth and top with spring onions, chilli and basil leaves. Serve the crispy shallots on the side.
Warm Portobello Mushroom Salad with Butternut Squash and Pomegranate
2 Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
100g butternut squash, cut into thin slices
50g green lentils, cooked
1 small red onion, cut into wedges
6 sage leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
10g mixed seeds
20g baby spinach
For the dressing
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
A small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c.
- Toss the butternut squash, red onion and sage leaves with 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a baking tray. Season with a little salt and milled pepper and roast for about 20 minutes until nicely coloured.
- Cook the kale in boiling water for 20 seconds and drain.
- In a frying pan, or ideally a griddle pan, cook the sliced Portobello mushrooms for 2-3 minutes on either side.
- For the dressing place all the ingredients into a jam jar a shake.
- In a salad bowl add the kale, spinach, lentils, butternut, red onions and toss with the dressing. Top with the mushrooms, pomegranate and mixed seeds.
For more fantastic mushroom recipes, and information about seasonal mushrooms, visit the Mushroom Bureau.