This vegan salad is healthy, hearty and just perfect on it’s own, however if you happen to be a carnivore this particular dish works beautifully with sliced chargrilled steak.
Ingredients (serves 4)
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 200g (7oz) baby asparagus spears
- 200g (7oz) green beans
- 200g (7oz) tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 6 large or 12 small oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 50–100ml (1⁄4–1⁄2 cup) vegetable stock
- 2 chicory heads, very finely sliced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- good handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 700g (1lb 9oz) firm smoked tofu, cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
TAHINI & MISO DRESSING
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon sweet white miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1cm (1⁄2 inch) root ginger, peeled and finely grated
Combine in a mini blender and whizz for 1 minute.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until they turn slightly golden and smell toasty. Then set aside to cool. Cut the asparagus, beans and broccoli into equal-sized pieces.
- Using the same pan, heat 1⁄2 tablespoon of the groundnut oil over a medium-high heat. Fry the mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side until they are browned. Remove and set aside.
- Now add the remaining 1⁄2 tablespoon of groundnut oil and stir-fry the asparagus, beans and broccoli, adding enough vegetable stock to steam-fry until they are cooked, but still all dente. Set aside to cool.
- Arrange the chicory, onion, chilli, coriander and mint on a platter.
- Finally, brush the tofu slices with the sesame oil, and griddle on a non-stick griddle pan for 1 minute on each side, until they are browned and stripy.
- Layer the cooled veggies and mushrooms over the salad, arrange the tofu on top, drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
Nutrition (per serving) Energy: 385kcal.
Protein: 26.2g. Carbs: 11.6g. Sugar: 5.7g. Fat: 25.6g.
This recipe was taken from ‘The Louise Parker Method – Lean for Life: The Cookbook’ by Louise Parker, published by Mitchell Beazley, £20 www.octopusbooks.co.uk