Looking for an easy high-protein meal that seriously satisfies? This mouthwatering recipe for steak tacos from Waitrose nutritionist Nicola Selwood is just what the doctor ordered!
“This tasty recipe is packed with 27g of protein as well as 27g of carbohydrate, making it a great post-run meal,” says Nicola. “It’s on the table in 20 mins, perfectly fitting into the post run recovery period. It’s also a source of iron which helps your body release energy from food.”
Total cooking time: 20 minutes
- 100g roasted red pepper, drained and roughly chopped
- 100ml natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Few drops Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, plus extra to serve
½ red cabbage, finely sliced
1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 rump steaks, each weighing about 200g, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 taco shells or
- 4 flour tortillas
- 160g salad leaves
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Place the pepper, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic and lime juice in a blender with a few drops of Tabasco and process until you have a smooth and creamy dressing.
- Place the red cabbage and onion in a bowl, toss together with the wine vinegar then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan, brush the steaks with a little oil and cook for 4 minutes on each side until medium cooked. Place on a board and leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Warm the taco shells or tortillas according to pack instructions, add a handful of salad leaves then top with the red cabbage and onion mixture.
- Slice the steaks thinly and divide between the tacos then spoon over the sauce and scatter with coriander to serve.
Nutritional value per serving – Energy: 1606kJ, 383kcals. Fat: 17.9g. Saturated Fat:5.8g. Carbohydrate: 27.9g. Sugars: 9.8g. Protein: 27.9g. Salt: 0.6g. Fibre: 5.1g
Find more healthy recipes like this at Waitrose online